7 Steps to Protect Your Home Against Termites
Purchasing a home can be the greatest investment of your life, but as a homeowner termites can be your absolute worst nightmare! The four primary termites (Dampwood, Drywood, Formosan, and Subterranean) can reek havoc and cost you a pretty penny in damages, repairs, and potential resale value!!
Often times homeowners don’t realize they have a problem on their hands until it is too late and an infestation is already well underway. By then the only option is damage control and deal with the outbreak, when steps could have been taken to prevent the invasion in the first place. Why not spare yourself the headache down the road, by implementing preemptive measures to protect your home and your wallet?
Here are a few tips to save your investment:
1. Make sure all entry points to your home are properly sealed – think beyond doors and window to check any cracks in seals.
2. Landscaping, including trees and scrubs, should stay well manicured and away from your house.
3. Take a look at your roof! Any rotten shingles need to be removed and replaced.
4. Got firewood? Rule of thumb: 20/5 (20 feet from your home, 5 inches off the ground)
5. Do you have a basement or crawlspace? Ensure that they are dry and ventilated.
6. Check foundations, windows, and weather-stripping for damage. Replacing these will help keep your home sealed properly.
7. Call the professionals! Don’t wait until the damage is done – P.E.S.T., Inc. offers FREE inspections and our certified technicians bring years of knowledge and experience to every job!
Remember, just because you haven’t yet seen physical evidence does not mean termites haven’t made their nest in your home Also, termites doesn’t just destroy wood! Subterranean termites can destroy heavy plastics and even swimming pool liners!
A great majority of home insurance policies do not cover termite damage, so don’t let termites ruin your home! Call P.E.S.T., Inc. at (615) 382-9774 or go to www.pestinc.net and fill out a contact form today.