5 Tips and Tricks to Bug Proof Your Home
P.E.S.T. Inc is the trusted, family-owned pest control service for both residential and commercial properties across Middle Tennessee. Since 2001 we’ve been effective, professional, and fully committed to do a great job with the highest levels of integrity!
Naturally, we want to be there for you when you find yourself with a pest problem, but we also want to help you keep your home or business as pest-free as possible. These simple tips can help you keep unwanted visitors away:
1) Keep food in your home in tight, sealed containers. Where there’s food and water, bugs will happily make themselves at home. Do all you can to keep your kitchen clean, which leads to the next tip.
2) Keep food off the floor and sweep often to remove crumbs. Wipe up crumbs, sweep or vacuum the floor, and clean up spills right away. Don’t leave dishes in the sink overnight. Clean out the toaster and microwave regularly. Scrub down your stovetop every day. Throw away food scraps and packages, and be sure trash bags are securely sealed.
3) Mulch, leaves, and garden debris can all make perfect homes for insects. Try to keep wood chips away from your home’s foundation, and clean up any organic matter. Mow your lawn regularly, and keep it short near your house. Pull annuals out at the end of the growing season, and trim back perennials as appropriate in the fall.
4) Make sure your home is properly sealed on the outside. Replace torn window and door screens. Seal cracks in your siding, windows, doors, utility pipes, and any other openings with a high quality silicone caulk. Install screens on attic vents, and chimney flues. Inspect crawl space openings and make sure they are properly sealed .
5) Fix or caulk leaky faucets to avoid excess water. Many insects thrive in environments with certain amounts of humidity, so sources of moisture can attract them. Repair plumbing issues, no matter how minor promptly. Inspect basements and crawl spaces extra carefully for leaks.
Already have some home invaders? Call P.E.S.T. Inc at 615-382-9774 for a home inspection or more expert advice!